March 5, 2012

The Elephant Vanishes

Haruki Murakami. The author is all the rage these days so I finally decided to give him a try. I think it's safe to say that I'm lost. Most books have some focus, some central plot or message - with the various stories in The Elephant Vanishes, I found myself at a loss; I couldn't figure out the meaning of any of the stories which is when I decided to let meaning go and just read.

Most of the stories in The Elephant Vanishes were odd and led nowhere, but they all seemed familiar for some reason. Some line or paragraph just rang true. Sex was of course an important issue in most stories - it gave it that modern touch, but besides that, the stories all grasped at some truth that I still can't lay my finger on. The best I can do is say that they seemed to be of today, of this world that we live in.

Haruki Murakami is an experience that is never complete. I think that to figure him out, his style, his meaning, you just have to keep reading - something I mean to do.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Good for you! He's not easy (meaning effortless) to read, but then sometimes the more difficult things you do in your life are the most rewarding! There is no doubt he is a fabulous writer, especially if you approach most of his work with your philosophy. Thinking about it too much can drive you nuts!!

Sarah said...

Sarah - Exactly. I've heard so much about him and was worried I was being dense!.....Decided I just have to get used to his style :)